Build paperless quality system
An international food company was using a quality system based on paper data capture and with analysis of key metrics done manually on spreadsheets.
- reduce the time operators spent manually capturing quality information
- reduce the rate of missed quality checks
- ensure appropriate response to, and escalation of, out-of-specification checks
- automate reporting of key metrics
- simplify auditing of historical quality data
However, upon review of the available ‘off-the-shelf’ systems the management team was unable to find an application that provided the functionality they needed within budget.
DTX technology was engaged to design and build a paperless quality system based on an Ignition 8 gateway linked to the site SQL server instance.
During the design phase DTX worked with the site team to outline the full project scope:
- input data sources (e.g. manual input, PLC data, vision systems)
- operator screens (e.g. data entry, alerting)
- escalation pathways
- key metrics (e.g. missed checks, out-of-specification checks)
- auditing and reporting
- user configuration of system elements (e.g. check sheets, check frequencies)
- user security
The build phase required 4 months with DTX delivering all Ignition and database development.
DTX supported the site over a 6 month implementation phase including:
- creating documentation for using and configuring the system
- training operators, team leaders and the management team
The delivered solution is a fully paperless quality system, including:
- integration of manual input with automated data capture on quality check sheets
- real-time operator overview of quality data
- automated alerting of operators when checks are due/missed
- automated escalation of out-of-specification checks
- automated reporting at all levels of review, from end of shift to weekly review
- auditing of historical quality data linked to downtime data and operator/team leader comments from that day/shift
- user screens for configuration and maintenance, eliminating the need for ongoing 3rd party support